Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Safety Net

Like many families, during the 80s, our family television viewing included the Cosby show. My dad and I loved Bill Cosby "Himself" and looked forward to his show. I know that we didn't watch the series for it's entire duration but there were several years that it was required viewing.
The was one episode where Sondra and Elvin had moved into an awful apartment. When Cliff and Claire came to see it, he was just appalled and kept saying things like "I can get you out of here." My dad and I were watching it and laughing and I remember turning to him and saying, "If I am ever living like that, come and get me out of there."
That became a code for us. Not often, but every once and a while, my dad would say, "Do you need me to come and get you out of there?"
How fortunate am I to have had a father who would do his best to get me out of a bad situation?

Happy Birthday Daddy.

Jenny

3 comments:

P- said...

JR - this is P-
Happy Birthday Man!!
Paula luuuuvvs uuuuuuuuu!
Gigi luuuuuvvvvsss uuuuuuu!
Dave luuuuuuvvvvssss uuuuu!
Today we celebrate the birthdays of 2 of my favorite people - you and Grandma Juras -- she would have have been 97 today. All my love!

Jarrell Richardson said...

Thanks for the happy birthday message. Yep, 63 of them and I still act like a kid. Was sitting in the shawdows on the porch tonight with my holloween mask on (scary one) waiting for the kids to come up the drive. The closer they got to me the slower they walked. Some turned and ran. I told the ones that got close enough to get candy not to take the Reeces because they were my favorit, so they picked around them. It was to funny.

Unknown said...

Oh now...that sounds like an Uncle Jarrell thing to do!! Ha! To cute. I would like to say Happy Birthday to Uncle Jarrell, sounds like it was a good one. :)